Thursday, January 10, 2008

"There's Beauty in the Breakdown"

So the hotel broke me yesterday...and I am a tough nut to crack...but yesterday...during a crazy phone call with a old man I broke down crying...

Lets start at the beginning: I hate old people. Some people hate kids, I hate old people. I'm sorry but for some reason no matter how cute and small I am, and how nice I am, old people hate me and love to yell at me for very silly, or stupid, or just plain things that don't make any sense!

Secondly: Our hotel as I mentioned before is in the process of being bought, and as a hotel that has a sister property that we also run, it has been a very confusing time with employees not knowing which hotel they will be placed at once the impending sale is done. There is a lot of confusion, people using sick days to really go on interviews at other hotels, so that means a lot of people are out sick. I am one of the lucky ones where I know I am not getting fired and not only that, I have an offer with the restaurant (which was sweetened this week when I was told that I would actually be helping the event planner start a catering company, not that I have any idea what catering really involves but I am starting one, so there!) and the current company that I work for apparently wants to give me a promotion but have still yet to hear that from anyone who matters, only from co-workers and big boss (I would like to hear it from the company itself, and with salary numbers as well....)
So the above all translates to: Not a lot of people, too much work, no one to do it except me...

SO yesterday, things came to a head. After 4 days and a weekend of having no reservations agents, I was being asked to learn the reservation system (ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!?) that is not my job and I refuse....as they dragged me kicking and screaming to the computer to learn it...then, accounting was asking me for things, the GM was asking me for things, and if you can't tell yet, as Psycho Sid explained to me post-breakdown, "I have a high-rent problem", I am the "Go To Girl" in the hotel because I get shit down and people can count on me...which means all problems head my direction, and as the loyal caring employee I try and do everything, I always am trying to be superwoman and sometimes I just can't...

So: Being very busy yesterday with requests from all areas of the hotels, the phone ringing of the hook with requests from people who don't even have groups coming till June- September, the assistant asking me no to forget to order toner for the printers (As if that is my highest priority and it's not like he can't do it himself), Psycho Sid asking me for such inane stupid things she needs done that simply can't wait (can you hear the sarcasm?) and a million other things...Mr. Old Man calls at 4:30 to ask me to go over his reservations....for June...

-Basic Conversation:
Me: How May I help you today?
Mr. Old Man: I need to go over my block and check that the reservations are correct
Me: Alright, I would be glad to email you the information so you can have it on hand.
Mr. Old Man: I don't use computers
Me: Alright Sir, You have 8 rooms for these nights...
Mr. Old Man: What?
Me: You have 8 rooms for these nights...
Mr. Old Man: I have 10 rooms for these other nights?
Me: No Sir, You have 8 rooms for these nights...?
Mr. Old Man: I dont understand why you cant get this right?
Me: Excuse me? I dont think I understand the issue sir.
Mr. Old Man: I want 8 rooms for these nights. I dont understand why your reservations agents can't get anything right. Everything has been a problem from every step of the way. You better fix all these reservations right this instance!!
Me: Um, I'm sorry sir, but I think we are having a miscommunication. Your reservations seem to all be in order.
Mr. Old Man: You better fix them right this instance! I also need this change done immediately.
Me: Sir, I am not a reservations agent, I am simply mini-bosses sales assistant and cannot make any changes to the reservation system as I dont have access.
Mr. Old Man: You better get access quick!! This is insane, I dont understand the problem with this hotel and why you cant do anything right.
Me: Let me put you on hold so you can speak with mini-boss who would be glad to discuss these issues with you....
Mr. Old Man: How dare you not take my complaint! I am giving you a complaint and you are just passing me off to someone else! How dare you!!! This is absolutely ridiculous, I will not speak with anyone else, that is completely irresponsible, reckless, uncaring...blah blah balh
Me: I'm sorry sir you need to speak with mini-boss
Mr. Old Man: Don't you dare put me on hold.dd.d.d..d.d......<>

So then immediately ran out of the room crying....mini-boss runs after me, I yell at him and tell him to go talk to his client!! I escape to the canal and sit on the bench and have a good cry. 20 mins later I head back and everyone wants to talk to me, apologize etc...ugh...it was just a long day...
I like that mini-boss got on the phone and told Mr. Cranky Pants that "My assistant ran out of her very upset. I'm not sure what happened but I would really like to know what you said to upset her."
Mr. Cranky Pants: I think I owe your assistant an apology.
Mini-Boss: I dont expect you will be speaking with her again.

Go mini-boss!!

So anyways, days ends. I ask to go home early as I am so upset. Psycho Sid comes out and is super nice to me and we have a little chat. Highlight of the chat:
PS: Just think that you have a garden. You have to tend, take care of and speak to your garden. If you pay attention to other gardens yours will not get all the care it needs. All you can do is throw fertilizer on others gardens to help them out.

Highlight of my day: After hitting the low of the low...I am waiting on the platform, having decided to walk around a little as I was still kinda upset and this guy standing next to me starts cursing and stuff...(not sure, could have been turrets) but when the train comes I get on the other train car because I dealt with enough crazy today, and there standing against the door on the other side of the car looking as handsome as ever is Ten. I walk to him, and he takes one look at me and can tell that I have been crying and he just gives me the biggest bear hug...I have the best boyfriend. We spent the rest of the night in bed cuddling and talking about work woes...

Sigh of Relief....another day begins.....

No comments: